Research at Strathclyde University: OPSnet project
My previous research, started at Strathclyde University, concerned the design of a GMPLS–compliant DWDM optical packet switching node in the framework of the OPSnet project. This design is at system level rather than network level, and the whole architecture (optical part and electronic control circuit) is implemented in Verilog using an object–oriented code generator. For node dimensioning and traffic studies, the design has been ported to a higher–level abstraction as a discrete–event simulator in C++. To drive the simulations, I use SynSim, a DOE automation tool.
My contributions to the OPSnet project have been published in a number of journal and conference papers:
- Vanderbauwhede and D. Harle. Architecture, design, and modeling of the opsnet asynchronous optical packet switching node. IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology, 23(7):2215 — 2228, July 2005.
- W. Vanderbauwhede and H. Novella. A multi-exit recirculating opticalpacket buffer. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 17(8):1 — 3, August 2005.
- W. Vanderbauwhede, F. Touvet, and D. Harle. Providing quality of service in an ip over optical packet switch network using gmpls. In Proc. IV Workshop in G/MPLS Networks, pages 25 — 34, Girona, ES, April 2005.
- W. Vanderbauwhede, D. A. Harle, "Design and Modeling of an Asynchronous Optical Packet Switch with DiffServ Traffic", Proceedings of the 8th IFIP Working Conference on Optical Network Design and Modeling (ONDM2004), Gent, Belgium, February 2-5 2004
- W. Vanderbauwhede, D. A. Harle, "Modeling and characterisation of an asynchronous Optical Packet Switch for direct IP over WDM", Proceedings of the International Network Optimization Conference (INOC2003), Paris, France, October 27-29 2003
- W. Vanderbauwhede, D. A. Harle, "Performance modeling of an asynchronous Optical Packet Switch for direct IP over WDM", Proceedings of the Conference on Heterogenous Networks (HETNETs03), Ilkley, UK, July 21-24 2003
- W. Vanderbauwhede, D. A. Harle, "A Novel Design for an Asynchronous Optical Packet Switch", Proceedings of the 7th IFIP Working Conference on Optical Network Design and Modeling, (ONDM2003), Budapest, Hungary, Febryary 3-5 2003
- W. Vanderbauwhede, D. A. Harle, D. G. Smith, "OPSnet: an all-optical packet switched network", Proceedings of PHOTON02, Cardiff, UK, September 2-5 2002
In September 2005, I participated in the 4th Workshop on Process Algebra and Stochastically Timed Activities (PASTA). My talk describes how to model the packet loss in an asynchronous packet switch using PEPA, a stochastic process algebra. Here are:
Some software tools were developed during the project: