Dr Simon Gay MA PhD MBCS CITP CSci
Photo by Daniel Oi.
Department of Computing Science
University of Glasgow
17 Lilybank Gardens
Phone: +44 141 330 6035
Fax: +44 141 330 4913
I am a Senior Lecturer in the Department
of Computing Science, University of
Glasgow. Within the department, I am a member of the
Theory and Algorithms research group.
If you are interested in applying to do a PhD in one of my research areas,
please contact me. There are numerous possible topics related to the
projects listed below. You can find information about the application
Two funded PhD studentships are available in association with the project
From Data Types to Session Types: A Basis for
Concurrency and Distribution. One studentship can start at any time from 1st October 2013, and one is for October 2014. These studentships are only available for UK citizens, or for EU citizens who have been resident in the UK for 3 years. Please apply through the University of Glasgow online system, mentioning this project and giving my name as a potential supervisor. More details are on findaphd.com here and here.
Projects and Grants
- Types for Concurrent Programming
(completed), funded by the Nuffield Foundation
- Novel Type Systems for Concurrent Programming
Languages (completed), funded by the EPSRC
- Typed Programming Languages for
Communicating Object Systems (completed), funded by the Treaty of Windsor Programme (a joint
scheme of the British Council in Portugal and the
Portuguese Council of University Rectors).
- QNET: Network on Semantics of
Quantum Computation (EPSRC EP/E00623X/1) September 2006 - February 2010 (jointly with Ian Mackie EP/E006833/1)
- QICS: Foundational Structures in Quantum Information and Computation (EU FP6 STREP) January 2007 - December 2009 (as a satellite of Oxford).
- Engineering Foundations of Web Services: Theories and Tool Support (EPSRC EP/E065708/1) December 2007 - November 2010 (jointly with Nobuko Yoshida EP/F003757/1 and Kohei Honda EP/F002114/1)
- Quantum Computation: Foundations, Security, Cryptography and Group Theory (EPSRC EP/F020813/1) January 2008 - December 2010 (jointly with Andrew Duncan, Peter Ryan, Sarah Rees, Sam Braunstein, Mark Lawson, Mark Kambites)
- Behavioural Types for Object-Oriented Languages (EPSRC EP/F037368/1)
January 2008 - June 2008 (visiting fellowship for Antonio Ravara).
Conferences and Workshops
Other Research Activities