Professor Simon Gay MA PhD MBCS CITP
Photo by Daniel Oi.
School of Computing Science
Sir Alwyn Williams Building
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QQ
Phone: +44 141 330 6035
Fax: +44 141 330 4913
I am a Professor and Head of the School
of Computing Science, University of
My main research area is programming language foundations. This concerns the theory, design and practice of the languages in which computer software is developed and coded. I am particularly interested in the design of programming language features that make it easier for programmers to develop software that relies on communication: for example, communication between computers and devices across the internet. This is important because modern life is so dependent on large-scale software systems in which communication is an essential aspect of the design.
I am also interested in quantum computing, which has the potential for a 21st century technological transformation similar to the development of digital computing in the 20th century. My interest here is in techniques for verifying the correctness of systems that combine classical and quantum computation and communcation.
If you are interested in applying to do a PhD in one of my research areas,
please contact me. There are numerous possible topics related to the
projects listed below. You can find information about the application
Projects and Grants
- Exploiting Parallelism through Type Transformations for Hybrid Manycore Systems (EPSRC EP/L00058X/1)
October 2013 - September 2018 (jointly with Wim Vanderbauwhede, Sven-Bodo Scholz, Nobuko Yoshida and Wayne Luk).
- Chair, COST Action IC1201: Behavioural Types for Reliable
Large-Scale Software Systems (BETTY) October 2012 - October
- Engineering Foundations of Web Services: Theories and Tool Support (EPSRC EP/E065708/1) December 2007 - November 2010 (jointly with Nobuko Yoshida EP/F003757/1 and Kohei Honda EP/F002114/1)
- Quantum Computation: Foundations, Security, Cryptography and Group Theory (EPSRC EP/F020813/1) January 2008 - December 2010 (jointly with Andrew Duncan, Peter Ryan, Sarah Rees, Sam Braunstein, Mark Lawson, Mark Kambites)
- QNET: Network on Semantics of
Quantum Computation (EPSRC EP/E00623X/1) September 2006 - February 2010 (jointly with Ian Mackie EP/E006833/1)
- QICS: Foundational Structures in Quantum Information and Computation (EU FP6 STREP) January 2007 - December 2009 (as a satellite of Oxford).
- Behavioural Types for Object-Oriented Languages (EPSRC EP/F037368/1)
January 2008 - June 2008 (visiting fellowship for Antonio Ravara).
- Typed Programming Languages for
Communicating Object Systems, funded by the Treaty of Windsor Programme (a joint
scheme of the British Council in Portugal and the
Portuguese Council of University Rectors).
- Novel Type Systems for Concurrent Programming
Languages, funded by the EPSRC
- Types for Concurrent Programming, funded by the Nuffield Foundation
Conferences and Workshops
- PC Member: 17th International
Workshop on Quantum Physics and Logic (QPL 2020).
Other Research Activities