Research in computational modelling and automated reasoning for concurrent, communicating systems, especially sensor-based systems. Model-checking, process algebras, probabilistic systems, protocols and telecommunications services, biochemical networks and cell signalling, safety-critical systems.
Member of Prime Minister's Council for Science and Technology, REF 2021 Main Panel B, <! -- chair of -->and chair of BCS School Curriculum and Assessment Committee.
Past Chief Scientific Adviser for Scotland (Scottish Government), co-chair of SSAC (Scottish Science Advisory Council) (2012-2015), co-Chair of EU FET Science Advisory Group (2014-15), and chair of DCMS Science Advisory Council. Past member of UKRI-EPSRC Council (2015-2020), member of Nurse Review of Research Councils (2015), Dean of Research in College of Science and Engineering (2010-2012), Senate Assessor (2009-2011), Chair of UKCRC (UK Computing Research Committee) (2008-2010), Head of Computing Science (2003-2007).
Past external examiner at University of Manchester, Warwick, St. Andrews, Edinburgh, and NUI Cork.
Royal Society Leverhulme Research Senior Fellow (2011-2012) and Royal Society Wolfson Merit Research Award (2011-2016). 2016 Suffrage Science award winner in Computing Science and Mathematics.
Principal Investigator of the S4 EPSRC Programme Grant S4: Science of Sensor System Software . Report from our 2020 research retreat .
RSE Women in Science Online Portrait 2022
Imagine the Pandemic Without Computer Science YouTube video
Computing is too important to be left to men Twitter video
Privacy Intrusion and National Security in the Age of AI: assessing proportionality of automated analytics. CETaS Research Reports, May 2023.
Probabilistic Bigraphs Formal Aspects of Computing, Vol. 34, Issue 2, ACM, 2022. DOI
Modelling and verifying BDI agents with bigraphs Science of Computer Programming, 2022.
Stochastic model checking for predicting component failures and service availability IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, vol. 16:1, 2019. DOI
Making Sense of the World: Framing Models for Trustworthy Sensor-Driven Systems Computers, 7(4), 62, 2018. DOI
Data-driven modelling and probabilistic analysis of interactive software usage Journal of Logical and Algebraic Methods in Programming, vol. 100, 2018. DOI
Computational modelling for decision-making: where, why, what, who, and how Royal Society Open Science 5:172096, 2018. DOI
Orcid number: 0000-0001-5033-7232
Current/Recent Research Projects
- Science of Sensor System Software EPSRC programme grant
- Multi-Perspective Design of IoT Cybersecurity in Ground and Aerial Vehicles EPSRC Petras project
- Royal Society Leverhulme Research Senior Fellowhip: Live formal models for predictable pervasive systems Royal Society-funded
- A Population Approach to Ubiqcomp System Designs EPSRC programme grant
- Royal Society Wolfson Award Royal Society-funded
- VPS: Verifying Interoperability Requirements in Pervasive Systems EPSRC-funded
- Homework: Shaping Future User Domestic Infrastructure EPSRC-funded
- SIGNAL: Stochastic process algebra for biochemical signalling pathways EPSRC-funded
- Stochastic Process Algebra for Oxidative Stress. Lord Kelvin/ Adam Smith research studentship
- Molecular Nose EPSRC-funded
- BPS: A Software Tool for the Simulation and Analysis of Biochemical Networks DTI-Funded.
- Computer Science Inside EPSRC-funded
- Veriscope: Verification of Similar Concurrent Processes EPSRC-funded
Boyd Orr Building
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QQ
Tel: +44 141 330 4462
Fax: +44 141 330 4913